If you want to start blogging, then it is definitely recommended to read about all the blogging platforms. You can blog on a self-hosted platform, but also on a free platform. There is a big difference between these two platforms and it is therefore recommended to delve into these two platforms. Do you want to know which is the best and what is the difference? Then read this blog.
Free blogging platform
A free blogging platform… What is that? A free blogging platform is a blogging platform like WordPress.com or Blogger. On this, you can make a free blog and you can blog for free on this. You can easily set up this blogging platform and it is actually really easy.
Advantages to a free blogging platform:
- It is free.
- It is easy to set up.
Disadvantages to a free blogging platform:
- You don’t have your own domain name (unless you buy one).
- A free blog looks less professional than self-hosted blogs.
- You have less control over your blog. For example, you can’t make your own design and you are very limited in all the options.
- You have a limited amount of bandwidth and space.
- It is harder to make money with your blog because sometimes you need your own domain to earn money with, for example, adverts.
Pin for later
Who should use a free blogging platform?
Someone who has just started blogging or just wants to start blogging should use this free blogging platform. If you’ve just started blogging, you probably don’t know what you want or if this is really your dream. With a free blogging platform, you make no costs at all and you can taste the blog life. If it doesn’t work, then you can easily delete the blog.
How much does it cost?
It is totally free! So, it doesn’t cost you anything. For example, you can start on Blogger or WordPress. If you want your own domain name, then this costs you around 14 euros each year at this hosting.
Self Hosted blogging platform
A self hosted blogging platform is a platform you need hosting for. At this hosting, you can buy a nice hosting. For this, you not only need a domain name, but also a hosting. A self-hosted blogging platform is wordpress.org. On this platform, you have the opportunity to install a theme and besides that, the plugins are amazing.
Must read: Switching from Blogger to WordPress | HOW TO
Advantages to a self hosted blogging platform:
- You have total control over your blog, like SEO, advertising, layout, and other functions.
- You can install your own themes.
- You have access to all files.
- Hosting doesn’t have to cost much.
Disadvantages to a self-hosted blogging platform:
- It costs money. At this hosting, you pay around 5 euros each month.
- Sometimes it can be a bit tricky to install WordPress. (I can do this for you too. Send an email to email@example.com for rates).
Who should use this self-hosted blogging platform?
Are you already blogging for a while? Then it is definitely recommended to take a look at a self-hosted blogging platform. By blogging on a self-hosted blog platform, your blog is taken a lot more seriously and everything just looks a lot more professional. So, if you take blogging seriously and maybe want to make some money with blogging, then a self-hosted blog platform like wordpress.org is a must.
How much does it cost?
It does not have to be expensive! There are a lot of hostings with all kinds of different prices. So I recently researched what is the best hosting. My recommendations for hosting are:
These are both really nice hostings and also very cheap. Definitely a recommendation.
Must read: The best hosting for bloggers
Which is the best?
I personally like the self-hosted blogging platform. I have been doing this for years now and it is definitely recommended to take a look at this way of blogging. The biggest advantages are the themes from which you can choose and the plugins. This just makes everything so much easier. It is therefore recommended to blog on wordpress.org. You can install WordPress by purchasing a hosting.
What do you use? A free blogging platform or a self-hosted blogging platform?